August 10, 2014 - Comments Off on 12 (Mostly) Free Outdoor Events in NYC You Won’t Want to Miss
Summer may soon be sharing its last sunny rays, which is all the more inspiration to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors! Lucky for us, New York City is a fantastic place to do that, considering it's a breeding ground for fantastic (free) events across the city. Whether you're looking to stargaze without leaving the city limits or for an excuse to throw your dancing shoes on, we've scoured the event listings to find the best ways to enjoy the last couple weeks of warm weather.
Peruse the upcoming events that caught our eye below and get moving! You heard us—enjoying a book on your fire escape is great and all, but take some time to enjoy the city while everyone is still happy and bare-shouldered.
- August 12, Sunset Salsa (Meatpacking District): From 6:30-7:15pm every Tuesday night, catch a beginner's Salsa lesson and put your moves to work during the DJ session that follows.
- August 12, Stargazing on the High Line (Chelsea): The Amateur Astronomers Association pulls out their high-powered telescopes for the public to enjoy every Tuesday night. The viewing takes place between West 13th and West 14th Streets.
- August 16, Coney Island Sand Sculpting Contest (Coney Island): Since 1990, sand artists and castle enthusiasts have graced the famous beach with their work. Grab a hot dog and take in the sights—the event is free, but all donations go toward rebuilding the devastation left behind by Hurricane Sandy. Registration is also free, so find some friends and give your sand sculpting skills a go.
- August 16-17, Jazz Age Lawn Party (Govenor's Island): We shared a bit of know-how on what to wear to the event, so you know this isn't one to miss. Enjoy some era-inspired cocktails, dress to impress, and learn the Charleston. Summer days don't get much better than that.
- August 18-22, 12th Annual Central Park Conservancy Film Festival (Manhattan): This year, the annual film festival is featuring five films—one each night of the week—that all fit under the theme "Scenes from our City." Catch titles like "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Rear Window" in the best bit of nature NYC has to offer. Read more